Merchandiser's Life at SM Market

I have been employed as a Merchandiser of Nestle products and was assigned in SM Supermarket on 2013 to 2015, and currently in Savemore Market Davao Branch. Right then, I already know what a merchandiser is supposed to do, it may pertains to any different aspects of selling and promoting of products, but I also need to follow the rules and regulations of the SM Management, these are all considered to be administrative policies and operational mandatory.

Being a diser doesn't always mean to replenish, refill, sell and promote products, because, here at SM Markets, it is indeed a kind of job which can actually challenge you from different scenarios and unexpected situations depending on the kind of management and processes the SM implements. A kind of job that is actually easy to learn but it is really hard to accept how it is to done. Working here for eight hours in a daily basis is an every day story that is being organized as we came to revitalized the tasks they are going to delegate us in the hardest way they could. Does that sounds common? I guess it is, but that doesn't gives us an assurance on how we get into the top of it, we cannot make sure if everything will be done according to their presumptions.

Meanwhile, I would say the SM had given me a lot of experiences, a lot of things and many things that there were also times I would somehow complain for every instructions that I so not get the point. The said company had elaborated the aspect about how a diser is supposed to be. Personally, they have molded me from being far away to the reality in this kind of field. I have learned a lot of things.

Me, as a merchandiser for the products of Nestle Phils., Inc., is a specialized and well trained personnel employed in APMC (Ace Promotion and Marketing Corp) for years now, and that will be assigned into different accounts. These accounts can be, Robinsons Supermarket, Puregold, NCCC Supermarket, Gaisano Market, SnR Membership Shopping, Shopwise, the SM and Savemore Supermarket and even into public markets around the Cities in the Philippines. The said accounts are classified into NKA (National Key accounts) and RKA (Regional Key Accounts) - what do they mean? I cannot tell you though.

To make it clear, I AM NOT A DIRECT/OUTRIGHT EMPLOYEE OF SM. The account is just my assignment.

Now, going back to my agony.
I opened up  my mind when I realized what kind of provision the SM Market does. And yes, the management is just one of the biggest organization in the Philippines and is actually competing in Global Marketing. As I have been assigned here in one of their Savemore Market branches in Bangkal, Davao City, it's different. I mean the whole things was different.

First and foremost, the standardization is very tactical. Yes, probably, they are implementing their rules a strict as possible they could. Their rules were so harsh so to speak, but at the end of the day, I realized how it is very important to every employees, including me, that it really can make your become professional and better employee. This is about their corporate policies and rules, and code of conducts.

The next thing will be, finding them the best among the rest. Being the number one buyer of volumes of products from Nestle and other vendors all over the Philippines, I can say, they really are good in handling the relationship of their suppliers.

Another is that, the management is able to produce young, yet, well-trained outright/direct employees, so long as they are most qualified.

Well, the last thing for all of those is, a reciprocity to all good things I have mentioned above, and to giver justice about my first statements about how cruel the management is. Yes, I can tell the world how ridiculous, unprofessional and lack of respect the Store Manager of the said branch of Savemore. I started my tenure of being one of their Merchandisers in Savemore Bangkal, Davao last April 2015. And apparently, I was very confused why the people here are just very scared. Scared with their Manager. A kind of scared without respect. A kind of scared that is really scared like being scared in "demons" or in "Aswang". They are scared that the qualities of an employee are crashing and beginning to evaporate as they look at the presence of the Manager. I myself can notice all these scenarios. I am even scared to her too.

Without any bias, yes, this manager is a hostile. She is a war symbol, perhaps. When she get angry and not in the mood, she will really be angry, as in literally angry. She shouts on her employees around other employees. She will humiliate an employee whenever she wanted to do it, without any concerns and without thinking the proper approach and the proper place. She is really a monster inside the supermarket.. hahahah... Basta, All I can think and imagine how monster she is are really can described here as one. I cannot tell you every thing but she is very unprofessional. I just wondered how did she became as the Store Manager of Savemore in the South Mindanao Stores. duhh.

You may just guess who is the one I am talking! hahah

On the other hand, let me also mention about how does the operations of the store is being ran. Everytime they had their promotional activities, they seemed to be very desperate of pushing it to the customers. Well, I believe that this is okay and perhaps this is also one of the main goals of the owner. But in a different thing of saying, their ways sometimes or most of the time are not appropriate, they will force us to sell their promos when we all know that almost everything are not saleable. And as a Marketing student, I know how to be a good seller, I know the strategies, but nothing can ever be done if your products are weak and all. So how can this manager forced us and just have the guts to expect us quotas. A quota of ten (10) pieces per diser within the day. Yes, it's a small number, but imagine how it is going to be so hard to sell the products. They did not consider that they only have few buyers in there, probably customers just near the store, home owners so to speak. The quota is non-negotiable, we cannot check out if we did not succeed. Sarcastically baseless and slowly killing our patience being a diser and absolutely NOT THEIR OWN EMPLOYEE.

I am so sick and tired for this kind of management, but I have to prolong my patience because I badly need this to sustain my school expenses. Haiiz

Maybe, if one day, the management can read this, that's the time I'm gonna raise my white flag and surrender. Hahaha. But all of my stories are true. You may nkt understand my agony, but try to work here. I did mention many negative experiences, but I still have a lot more. I cannot summarize it.

The bottom line here is that, when you are assigned in SM Accounts, you are hereby asked and obliged to follow and obey their house rules, including their "extra curricular activities", in which you have only two choices; follow them or else, leave and never ever come back!

A beautiful image of SM Markets is so important to put care everytime. When hear "SM", it's a famous and established name around the cities nationwide and worldwide.

You should know, sm is a big organization, standard and a model among other stores. It is just that the personnel who are working and manging the store are substandard and out of their mind, not all but I will specally mention the branch where I am currently assigned.

The life of a merchandiser here at sm is happy but demotivated, unproductive and full of regrets. We are suffocated and lack of qualities due to the mismanagement of the manager, and the manager alone. She is not a good leader, she is a boss by her own belief. She's oit of her mind.

I created this article not to expose my bitterness but to let you know how does it feels like working here. It's not gonna be a win win situation. Unfair. So, to end this, let me thank my employer for assigning me here because I gained many things, I became even more optimistic because I find all those things a lesson and a great experience in my tenure as a merchandiser.

#sm #merchandiserslife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Usahay (Sometimes) A Song from my Mama. Papa. Lolo. Lola

Ang Kahalagahan ng Ating Magsasaka sa Bukid - Talumpati

"LABAN LANG!" - A Simple Tagalog Motivation Piece!